Sunday, August 22, 2010

One Week Down

What a week it has been! I am getting to know the city better and better every day. It helps that I have been running outside a lot, so I get to know the main streets in the neighborhood. While I was running this morning, I ran into Kevin, who was also on a run. Seeing a familiar face was comforting. While we ran we joked that our group is "taking over" the city.
The Mizzou group certainly stand out sometimes as the "Loud Americans". Last night, we all went to have a drink, and Matt told us a very animated story about how he had bought a pair of dress shoes from Banana Republic, and when he tried them on in Brussels, he discovered that he had been given a right shoe size 10.5 and and left size 8. We were all laughing as Kevin told us he was going to write a complaint on behalf of Matt to each department of Banana Republic and Barack Obama. When we settled down and looked around, we became aware of everyone staring at us.
It has become a hobby among the girls to try and find cheap and unique places to eat in the city. Just the other night we stumbled upon a Istanbul pizza place. An entire pizza was only 6 euros, and it was delicious! Anne had a pizza that had a fried egg in the center, and Emily has one topped with corned beef hash. We got them to-go, and sat in the nearby Place Flagey and people-watched.
We haven't be able to watch any American television here, and we cannot access MTV.com or Hulu. We were forced to watch a TiVoed version of the Jersey Shore over Skype on the computer.

Today, Gareth took us on a surprise tour of a chocolate factory called Zaabar. It was incredible. We got to sample chocolates from all around the world and then make our own truffles. It was fun to try unique flavors such as lavender, chili, and my surprise favorite, salt. The truffles were a blast to make, but it was hard to not eat the chocolate until the end! It was certainly my favorite part of the trip so far.

All of us with Gareth suited up and ready to make some truffles!
Charlie Drake wanted me to take picture of the architecture inside this hotel. I walked all the way there, but it was for private residents only and I couldn't find a way to sneak in. Sorry Charlie, I tried!
Teaching us how to make truffles. We dip them in nuts, crunchy pieces, or meringue. Then we got to take them home with us!
Anne, Emily and I making truffles!
Look at all of the different flavors! Each has a tin of samples next to it :)

Little girl rollerblading in Plaza Flagey.
Le Grand Place. More beautiful than I could have ever imagined.
"Caressing" this figure will supposedly bring you good luck. Madame Martine told us all about it during our 3-hour walking tour of the city.
The Mannequin Pis all dressed up! A beer company sponsored the event and were giving out free samples. Brought quite a crowd!


It is only day 5 and I already ate at McDonalds. Different menu, and incredibly expensive, but soooo worth it.
The Atomium

I found Indian Food in Brussels! Delicious!
In the middle of a beechwood forest. I love seeing all of the main tourist attractions of Brussels, but discovering gems like this is so exhilarating.


Steven posing as the mannequin pis.

Anne and Emily enjoying a Belgian Beer
We met in Brussels, Belgium...But grew up 20 minutes away from each other. This is my new friend who is from Barrington, IL!
Belgian Frites! Served in a cone and doused in a variety of sauces. Anne likes to try a new sauce each time, I prefer to stick with ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment