Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day at European Voice!

I just got home from my first day of my internship!  It was really great!  The hours will take a little getting used to, but I can tell that I am going to have a great experience with the company.

The office is located on the 6th floor of the Residential Palace, which also happens to be where one of my classes is located, so it was easy to find.  I arrived at 9:15 and met Christina, who I will be sharing an office with.  She has a strong German accent and somehow talks faster than I do.  It took some getting used to, but she was friendly, helpful, and incredibly welcoming.  She showed me to my desk that was equipped with every office supply I could ever need.  I have my own computer, and a great view of European Union buildings. She showed me where the expresso machine was :)  and then introduced me to the rest of the staff.  Everyone was great, and asked me about Mizzou, Chicago, and how I feel about the weather in Brussels.

I found out that I will be working specifically on promotional events that European Voice sponsors.  These events include debates, panel speakers, and networking lunches based around EU issues.  The biggest event I will be working on is the EVAwards.  This Gala gives recognition to key characters in the EU and the world.  The categories include National Politician of the Year, EU Official of the Year, and Inspiration of the Year.  In 2001, George Bush won Non-EU Citizen of the Year, and Arnold Schwarzenegger won in 2007 for Campaigner of the Year. The biggest award is European of the Year, which has gone to various Prime Ministers, Commissioners, and in 2001 to U2's lead singer, Bono.  It is a black-tie event, and will be an absolute blast to attend, especially knowing that I had a hand in organizing it.
Here is a link to the website:
http://www.europeanvoice.com/page/the-evawards-europeans-of-the-year/2752.aspx?LG=1

There is another event called the EU Studies Fair, which takes place in February.  Universities from around the world come to meet students who are nearing graduation from undergraduate studies.  It is a way for students to learn about graduate programs that universities offer that would prepare them for jobs in the EU.  (International Relations, Business, Law, etc)  Although the event doesn't take place until February, it will be my job this semester to promote the event to students, through media outlets such as Facebook and Twitter.  I am excited to have the chance to market to my own age demographic, and hopefully get to network with employers. :)

I will intern at European Voice Mon-Thurs, 9:30-6:00 for the next 18 weeks.  There will be about 7 major events during that time, concluding with the EV awards on November 1st.  I can see that I have quite a bit of work ahead of me, but I am thrilled to have this opportunity!  I didn't want to look weird by trying to take pictures of everything on my first day, but I will try and sneak some this week to post here!

No comments:

Post a Comment